Wednesday 25 March 2015

avon ultra colour indulgence lipstick- review and swatches


Oh my Gosh. Guys. I have a bloody brilliant lippy to share with you guys today. Introducing Avon's brand new ultra colour indulgence lipstick...behold!


       There she is. It's the typical Avon glossy black with a silver band affair, though taller and cylindrical rather than square-ish. It's sleek and sturdy- no complaints. The bullet shape is rather flat and wide though, as you can see. I found this to be no problem. In fact, I quite liked that it distributed a good sweep of colour to easily coat my fuller lips. However, if you have thinner lips, or a more defined cupid's bow, you may find it a bit fiddly to get a precise edge. Perhaps. 

       I have the shade 'spring lilac', which is indeed an appropriate pop of girly colour for the arrival or the more lively season, It's not a true lilal though- more of a pinkish plum. Very pretty, though, and I found it brightened my overall complexion and made me feel like an utter doll.

       All well and good so far, but what makes it so special? Well, the texture is MINDBLOWINGLY FABULOUS. The description on the site said the formula was gel-based (as opposed to wax-based), and I kind of wrote it off as irrelevant and a bit gimmicky. But it is really quite amazing. Now, when I first tried it on, I swept it on over dry lips. I had a cold and they were in an unusually grim state. Did the colour catch on dry bits? Did it emphasise the chappiness? Did it go on patchy? Did it fudgecake. It positively glided over and completely erased all the dryness with it. It was like a super good emollient lip balm, with none of the sticky heaviness. The water based formula meant it felt lightweight despite being hydrating, and it had the perfect amount of slip to comfortable but not slip-right-off-your-face slippery. 

       The thing is, there are other hydrating lightweight lipsticks about. But this goes one up. First of, it has good colour payoff. Usually, hydrating tends to translate as 'sheer'. Not here. One coat gives a good medium flush of colour, and this can be built up with layering without getting a greasy gooey mess. Secondly, it doesn't bleed. Lastly, and most fabulously, it lasts well! How rare is that for a lipstick of this texture? It's usually easy come easy go, innit. This lisptick, though, seems to stain a little, so even when the glossy sheen wears off, a good tint of colour remains. It's not super long wearing per se, but it definitely lasts beyond the average mark, and I wasn't expecting that at all.

        The swatch below is from my first time trying it, so it's over my dry cold-mardy lips. Hopefully you can see how well it looked despite the manky canvass. This is one coat. 

avon ultra colour indulgence lipstick- spring lilac

Overall, I was very pleasantly surprised by this unassuming offering, and obviously recommend trying it out, particularly for those of you prone to dry lips. It's priced at a very reasonable £7.50, and often on offer. Let me know if you try it!

1 comment: